Mrs. Sarita Kenedy East was one of the most remarkable women in South Texas - one of the last of the Kenedy family that exerted great leadership in the development of South Texas.
Mrs. East was born in Corpus Christi on September 19, 1889, the granddaughter of Petra Vela Kenedy and Captain Mifflin Kenedy, pioneer rancher and investor. The town of Kenedy and the county of Kenedy are named in his honor. The county seat of Kenedy County is named Sarita, in honor of Sarita Kenedy East.
Sarita Kenedy married Arthur East, a South Texas rancher, at a home built by Captain Mifflin Kenedy, on the site of the present day Corpus Christi Cathedral. She was the daughter of John G. Kenedy and Marie Stella Turcotte of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Mrs. East, like her mother and grandmother, gave generously to the Catholic Church, especially to the Diocese of Corpus Christi. She also gave many anonymous donations to museums, hospitals and other charitable organizations throughout South Texas. Because of her many contributions to charities and her many years of devoted service to the Catholic Church, Mrs. East received two special honors from the Pope - the medal Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice and membership in the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.
Mrs. East died on February 11, 1961, bearing no children, but leaving behind a magnificent legacy that has left its impact on thousands of people in South Texas.